Postal Voting

Monday, March 28, 2005

Alleged violence and bribery in the Birmingham case

The Independent published an article on the Birmingham case last week. A mirrored copy is available here. The sheer scale is staggering - 3,000 of the 7,000 votes are alleged to have been fraudelently cast. And it wasn't just ballot box-stuffing, but also stretched to outright bribery and threats of violence:

The former Liberal Democrat councillor Ayoub Khan - who lost his Aston seat in those elections - claims some votes were up for auction. "I knocked on one door," says Khan, a 31-year-old trainee barrister, "and the householder said to me, 'I've been offered £10 for my vote, but I'm looking for £15...'" Khan also told a court he'd received "numerous death threats" during the election campaign. He says these have continued since he helped to mount a legal challenge to the Aston result. "People have phoned me at all hours, from withheld numbers. They play a recording: it'll say things like, 'We're watching you; we're going to shoot your kneecaps off.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home